Labels

Monday, June 21, 2010

The Evidential Power of Beauty: Science and Theology Meet, Thomas Dubay, S. M.

My parents gave me this book as a present because I'm fascinated by the overlap between science and God/religion/theology. I had to wait until the summer to have time to enjoy it, and overall I found it an interesting book.

The book had a lot more philosophy and theology and less science than I had expected. The first third of the book discusses the concept of beauty. The second third finally got into the science and discussed the beauty of creation and scientific marvels, ranging from the very huge to the very small. The author also discussed the idea of design in the universe and the anthropic principle. The final third of the book focused on the beauty of God.

I found the first part of the book a bit slow, which probably stems mostly from my limited patience for philosophy, although it did raise some interesting thoughts. I greatly enjoyed the second and third sections, which made me more appreciative of the world and caused me to pause and think about the beauty surrounding us.

My only remaining criticism of the book is that it was a bit repetitive. Some of the quotes and ideas were repeated often enough that I thought I was rereading sections. However, I enjoyed this book overall and would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment