Labels

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Father Brown Mysteries, G. K. Chesterton

The Father Brown Mysteries are possibly my favorite short stories. I first became familiar with them when my former roommate found some at a used bookstore and began reading them to me as bedtime stories. The main character, Fr. Brown, is a humble priest with a shabby umbrella and a knack for solving mysteries and understanding people. His intuitive understanding of people allows him to see each crime from a new point of view, and therefore find the secret (and the criminal) behind it. I recommend them for anybody looking for a short and enjoyable read.

Note: There are a lot of different editions to these stories, but they were originally published in 5 books. For the most part, jumping around in order is perfectly fine, but it's best to read the first five stories in order to witness the development in the character of Flambeau.

1 comment: