Labels

Sunday, August 15, 2010

1491, Charles Mann

Yes, I'm still here!  I am absolutely astounded by how quickly my fellow-bloggers read books.  But after a month of reading (and traveling cross country to Colorado), I finally have a new one for you -  1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus.  A professor assigned a chapter from this book during the spring semester and I liked it so much that I decided to buy it.

Unlike many historians and archaeologists, Mann is able to pull together a succinct synthesis of American civilizations pre-Columbus, focusing on the ways people modified their environments to shape the world early colonists later experienced.  Perhaps it sounds a little dry, but Mann is an excellent writer and takes you along on his adventures to the Amazon, the Mexican countryside, and New England.  I was impressed with how well he tackled some complex archaeology, and drew comparisons between so many diverse groups of native peoples in the Americas.

I certainly recommend this book for anyone interested in early American history, archaeology, Native American studies, or environmental studies.  It's easy to read, but does take a while to tackle the whole thing if you're an unfortunately slow reader like me.

And with that, I'm defecting to another Jane Austen before I tackle any more archaeology or history.

No comments:

Post a Comment